MEMO: Club Update
FROM: Danny Da Costa, Chief Executive Officer
TO: OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre Members & Program Participants
Dear Member & Program Participant,
We hope you had a wonderful Family Day weekend. I want to thank you for your continued support and patience. This closure has been difficult for our organization and for our members, program participants and staff members.
Earlier today, I corresponded with a representative of Sport, Physical Activity and Recreation Branch of the Alberta Government (SPAR) to once again make the case for the reopening of tennis in the Province. I posed a question on whether an individual or family residing in the same household could be allowed to book a tennis court for singles or doubles play. In my communication, I outlined the following points:
· Reservation is made through an online booking software
· Each court has its own entrance and there is a physical barrier between each court
· Players can keep a minimum of 3-metres physical distance at all times
· We treat each tennis court like its own “facility”
· We have restricted the use of locker-rooms, socialization etc.
· Spacing parameters inherent in tennis that make it safe
This afternoon, I received in writing the following response from the Province of Alberta (SPAR):
“The second point below would allow for a tennis club to rent a space/court to either an individual or household. This is provided that all other guidance can be implemented by the facility. At this time doubles would only be permitted by participants from the same household”.
The current public health situation is very fluid and changes day to day. However, based on this response from SPAR we are moving forward to allow, effective Thursday, February 18, 2021, the following activities:
1. Singles Court Bookings with Members of the same household
2. Doubles Court Bookings with Members of the same household (must be 4 players from the same household)
3. Private Lessons (one-on-one)
4. Semi-Private Lessons (with Members of the same household)
5. Ball Machine
6. Serve Practice
7. Youth Group Lessons are also permitted (up to 10 individuals including coaches per program)
Should the situation change, we will advise accordingly.
· Physical distancing must be maintained between participants at all time, including 3-metres physical distance for indoor activities.
· Participants must be masked at all times, except during the training activity. Coaches and trainers must remain masked at all times.
· Access to change rooms must be limited, including accelerated arrival and departure, emergencies (for example, first aid) and washroom use.
We see this development as a very positive sign and look forward to further easing of restrictions in the next few weeks.
I have instructed Sila Huang to complete the necessary software changes to allow for court bookings to occur. We should be able to have the booking software updated by Jegysoft for Thursday, February 18, 2021, at 7:00 am.
Thank you for your patience and we look forward to welcoming you back starting this week. As always, I will share any other correspondence and guidance I receive in my discussions with the Government of Alberta. I have also notified the other clubs in the Province and Tennis Alberta regarding the correspondence I received today.
DANNY DA COSTA
Chief Executive Officer
OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre