MEMO: OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre Club Update
FROM: Danny Da Costa, Chief Executive Officer
TO: Alberta Tennis Centre Members and Program Participants
Dear Member and Program Participant:
We hope you are enjoying the start of our 2020 – 2021 indoor tennis season. For those new to our facility, I would like to welcome you to the OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre. We hope you are enjoying the facility and all the great programs and amenities we offer. If you are a returning member, I would like to thank you for your unwavering support, and we look forward to another successful indoor season.
COVID-19 PANDEMIC UPDATES
The safety of our staff, members and program participants are paramount to our success. While we are very grateful to have our facility reopened and fully functional, we must not lose sight of the surging cases of COVID-19 in the city and province. To date, as a result of our ongoing actions, we have been COVID-free in our facility. We will need to continue to maintain our wellness screening and safety protocols through the fall/winter season to mitigate any risk to the virus.
Therefore, I am asking each of you to be mindful that while we are enjoying the reopening of the economy, we are still in an active pandemic and further cases could shut down businesses and the economy. We have a shared responsibility to keep our staff/members/program participants safe, therefore I am kindly asking you to do the following:
- Reinforcing physical distancing and public health measures including:
- Hand sanitization
- Maintaining 2-meters distance
- Wearing a mask in public places indoors (common areas including hallways, bathrooms/locker rooms) is a requirement
- Frequently washing your hands, and not touching your face
- If you (or a family member) are sick or have any COVID-19 symptoms, please do not come to the tennis centre. The tennis centre will be here when you are healthy and can resume playing.
- Please consider your social choices at this time, should they include higher risk activities like:
- Attending fitness sessions / classes
- Attending parties or social gatherings
- Attending restaurants (crowded and popular downtown restaurants)
Strict adherence to our wellness protocols will ensure our collective safety. While I cannot tell you what to do on your personal time, I do want to reinforce that our personal decisions can impact our ability to remain open and help restart Alberta’s economy. We want our facility to remain COVID free, so let’s all do our part to keep it that way.
USE OF MASKS
We have observed and received some feedback from our members that some players have forgotten to wear their masks in the locker-room and when exiting the locker-room to go on court.
We want to remind all of our members, program participants, parents and guests that masks are mandatory. Masks must be worn in the club unless you are engaged in physical activity. As a City of Calgary facility, we are mandated to enforce the City Bylaw on the use of masks. Failure to comply with this order may result in losing your playing privileges at the OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre.
We kindly ask you to respect your fellow members, program participants and staff members and club policies. We all have a part to play to ensure the health and wellness of our members and guests as well as to ensure that our facility can remain open during this pandemic.
USE OF MEZZANINE LEVEL
Now that the cold weather is upon us, we want to ensure the safe transition of players on-and-off the court. Therefore, we are asking that parents/children arriving to join or participate in a program, to wait upstairs on the mezzanine level. Players should remain on this level until the buzzer has sounded, then proceed onto your scheduled court. We need to reduce the amount of congestion in the hallway to ensure everyone’s safety.
Parents and players are requested not to congregate in the halls before and after. Please exit the facility as soon as your done your activity. Parents are also kindly asked to continue to drop-off/pick-up their children only to ensure we can meet our 100-person limit and keep people safe. If this is not possible, we are kindly asking you to ensure you are wearing a face-covering at all times and observe social distancing practices (2 meters at all times).
OTHER PANDEMIC UPDATES:
- Gym use at this time is limited to 4 people only. You can reserve time to use the gym online (members only).
- Shower facilities are not available at this time.
- There should be no more than 4 people in the changing room areas at any given time. Members are asked to arrive dressed. If you plan to use the locker room, please ensure you are wearing your face-covering at all times and maintain 2-meters physical distance.
We are experiencing significant interest in tennis and our tennis facility is very busy at the moment. The COVID-19 pandemic has created an interesting dynamic for our business. With fewer players travelling down south for the winter months, more children taking advantage of online education and more adults working flexible work-schedules, we have more people utilizing our facility. We understand that court time is currently at a premium and our management team is currently reviewing all aspects of our operation to ensure we can provide sufficient court time to our membership.
NEW HOURS OF OPERATION starting December 1st
In order to provide more court time to our membership, we will change our hours of operation effective December 1st.
Our new hours of operation will be:
· Monday-Sunday (7:00 am – 10:00 pm)
We hope our membership will take advantage of our expanded hours of operation. This move will also allow for more players to play tennis at our facility, with an additional 88 more court hours available to our membership throughout the week.
NON-MEMBER USE starting November 1st
In order to provide more playing opportunities for our membership we will restrict non-member bookings to 24 hours only effective November 1st. This move is also to restrict the number of non-members utilizing our facility during the COVID-19 pandemic. We will return to 48-hour booking privileges in the future. Also, all non-member bookings are required to have registered their name, contact information and credit card (payment) at the time of booking.
COURT BOOKING PRACTICES
As a courtesy to our membership, strict adherence to our club’s booking policies is required and will be enforced by our staff to ensure our members have opportunities to book courts. We are noticing the following:
· Some members are booking courts with one name (singles) and two names (doubles) to hold a court. This is not allowed in our membership rules. Going forward, we will be notifying the members and the club reserves the right to cancel your court reservation if this practice continues. A valid court reservation can only be made with 2 names (singles) and 4 names (doubles) on the booking sheet.
· If you are booking a court with a guest, they must be registered in our system as well for contact tracing. Please contact the Member Services Desk to ensure each non-member is registered in our Jegysoft platform.
· We also have seen members booking multiple courts at the same time or within a very close time frame. A member may only play on one court at a time. If your name appears more than once on a booking sheet, you will be notified and asked to cancel a court.
· As a courtesy, we also ask our membership to fill any vacant court time slots. (e.g., book 8:00 – 9:00 pm instead of 8:30 – 9:30 pm). This measure will make more court time available. Management is investigating the possibility of rule changes such as booking courts on the half-hour and hour mark (e.g. Courts 1-4 on the hour and Courts 5-8 on the half-hour).
It is our sincere hope that our membership will do their part to ensure courtesy to your fellow members/guests.
FACILITY EXPANSION UPDATES
Progress is continuing to be made on our facility expansion. We have applied for a government infrastructure grant which would be used to help our capital campaign. As well, we are preparing our Development Permit application with the City of Calgary and planning the launch of our capital campaign by the end of the year. We currently in the final design stages of our project and we are currently engaging the City of Calgary through a technical and financial review for our proposed project. Once we clear these hurdles, we can hopefully launch our construction this spring and have our new structure up in time for the fall/winter indoor season 2021.
It is the intention of the Board and Management to complete the facility expansion (Phase 1) as soon as possible. We understand the busy nature of our facility and the covering of our outdoor courts will help alleviate this very problem. I am certain our membership and community will be very pleased with our new covered court project. This development will be the best air-supported structure in the world once completed and the playing conditions will be similar to those experienced by our existing indoor facility.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to our staff or myself.
Danny Da Costa
Chief Executive Officer
OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre
Tel: (587) 393 1604