MEMO: CLUB & COVID UPDATE
FROM: Danny Da Costa, Chief Executive Officer
TO: Alberta Tennis Centre Members and Program Participants
DATE: November 10, 2020
Dear Member & Program Participant,
I am writing to provide you with a brief update on our facility and our COVID-19 response. Firstly, I want to thank our members and program participants for their continued support and patience as we go through a very busy period.
Over the past few weeks, I have taken time to chat with other club/industry leaders about court pressure issues in their respective clubs and how they are managing during the pandemic. I have solicited feedback from our staff, board and from some of our membership regarding the court pressure and some proposed suggestions on rule changes. Next week, we will introduce changes to our rules that will take effect in December. Please review next week’s Memo which should be circulated around November 16th. We feel that these changes should help make more courts available to our membership going forward.
Starting on November 2, Alberta residents and eligible international travellers arriving on a non-stop flight into Calgary can take a test for COVID-19 and possibly reduce their mandatory quarantine to as little as 2 days with a negative test. This includes guests who are connecting to airports within Alberta and essential foreign travellers staying within the province for at least 14 days after arrival. For full pilot project details, visit the Government of Alberta website.
The OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre has developed its own travel policy for any of our members/program participants and guests travelling and wishing to use our facility upon return.
Anyone travelling abroad and returning to Alberta must follow the following:
1. Mandatory 14-day quarantine if you decline a rapid-test, or
2. Participate in the new International Border rapid-testing pilot project (see above).
All returning members, program participants and guests, must notify the club which option they will choose and must provide proof of their clear test results before being permitted into our facility.
Anyone participating must only return to the Alberta Tennis Centre if they are not exhibiting any symptoms and have been cleared by Alberta Health Services. All returning players must also complete our daily wellness screening protocols. Any player exhibiting any COVID symptoms will be sent home and cannot return to the Alberta Tennis Centre until Alberta Health Services clears the players return. We will monitor this Government pilot project and may modify the application of the policy at our sole discretion.
The OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre prioritizes the health and safety of our membership, program participants, guests and staff. We are doing everything in our power to ensure your safety and to remain open at this time. This is a time to look out for one another, please be kind to your fellow members and staff. We are all in this together. Respecting people’s safety and personal space is critical to our success and it is greatly appreciated.
· We are kindly reminding our members, program participants and guests that they must adhere to all COVID-19 protocols including wearing a mask and maintaining 2 meters social distance at all times. The only time wearing a mask is not required is when you are actively participating in tennis or in the gym.
· We have received some feedback from our members that some people are not maintaining 2-meter distance in the locker room. The changing area is limited to no more than 5 players at any time. We kindly ask you to arrive changed and ready to go. If you have to change in the changing area, it must not exceed 5 players. Shower use is not permitted at this time. Also, wearing a mask in the locker room is mandatory.
· We also ask that players only enter the court area once the buzzer sounds. This is to ensure fairness to our members and program participants and to keep players safe.
· We are currently monitoring spectators and access to the upstairs mezzanine at this time. A decision will be made in the next 7-10 days if we introduce any further restrictions in this area of our building.
· While the club has a comprehensive and rigorous cleaning program in place, we still encourage our members to take personal responsibility for your health and wellness. Members are encouraged to bring your own hand sanitizer, gloves, sanitary wipes. We encourage you to wash your hands before and after play and use hand sanitizer while on court. Our facility is cleaned throughout the day using the best cleaning products on the market.
· If you are sharing balls with your partner, we encourage you to hand sanitize frequently while on court. Otherwise, you are encouraged to bring your own can of marked tennis balls.
· Please do not enter the facility if you are sick either as a participant or spectator. All members and participants must also daily complete the wellness screening.
· Recently, we received a report that a car was broken into at our tennis centre. It is the responsibility of our members and program participants to lock your car at all times and remove any of your valuables. I have spoken with the Calgary Police Service who have begun increasing patrols of our tennis centre.
We are always willing to listen to our member feedback. You can send us feedback to me directly or to our email@example.com email.
Danny Da Costa
Chief Executive Officer
OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre