MEMO: Club Update
FROM: Danny Da Costa, Chief Executive Officer
TO: OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre Members & Program Participants
Dear Member & Program Participants,
We hope you are enjoying the summer season! It is nice to see our courts being used by our members and the public.
It has been six weeks, since our indoor and outdoor courts reopened following the COVID-19 facility closure. The support we have enjoyed from our membership and participants has been greatly appreciated by us all, and we hope you have adjusted well to our new operating guidelines.
The safety of our staff, members and program participants are paramount to our success as we move through Stage 2 of the Province of Alberta reopening plan. While we are very grateful to have our facility reopened and fully functional, we must not lose sight of the escalating cases of COVID-19 in the city. Last week, 2 popular restaurants and 5 fitness studios were temporarily closed due to outbreaks. I am concerned with the escalation of cases in the city over the past two weeks, as Alberta reopens the economy. This past weekend, nearly 400 cases were reported in the Province (most of which in Calgary). These are concerning statistics that cannot be overlooked. We are fully committed to doing our best to stop a second wave of COVID-19 from occurring.
Therefore, I am asking each of you to be mindful that while we are enjoying the reopening of the economy, we are still in an active pandemic and further cases could shut down businesses and the economy. We have done everything in our power to weather the COVID-19 facility closure, so let’s do our part to keep people safe at this time. Respectfully, I am asking that we collectively take the necessary safety precautions now, in order to prevent any future facility interruptions. We have a shared responsibility to keep our staff/members/program participants safe, therefore I am kindly asking you to do the following:
- Reinforcing physical distancing and public health measures including:
- Hand sanitization
- Maintaining 2-meters distance
- Encourage you to wear a mask in public places indoors (or where you cannot physically distance)
- Frequently washing your hands, and not touching your face
- If you (or a family member) are sick or have any COVID-19 symptoms, please do not come to the tennis centre. The tennis centre will be here when you are healthy and can resume playing.
- Please consider your social choices at this time, should they include higher risk activities like:
- Attending fitness sessions / classes
- Attending parties or social gatherings
- Attending restaurants (crowded and popular downtown restaurants)
Strict adherence to our wellness protocols will go along way to ensuring our collective safety.
While I cannot tell you what to do on your personal time, I do want to reinforce that our personal decisions can impact our ability to remain open and help restart Alberta’s economy. We want our facility to remain COVID free, so let’s all do our part to keep it that way.
JUNIOR & ADULT PROGRAMS REGISTRATION
Registration remains open for our summer adult and junior programs (August session). Our junior summer tennis camps have done very well this summer, but we still have some availability for the month of August. You may register for any of our programs by visiting our Alberta Tennis Centre website.
We have opened up our Fall/Winter Junior and Adult Program registrations. Spaces are filling up, so please do not wait until the last moment to register. If you need any assistance registering for a program please contact the Member Services Desk for more information (587) 393 1600 or firstname.lastname@example.org
UTR Tennis Event
This weekend, we will be hosting the first-ever Junior UTR Event in Calgary, hosted by the Alberta Tennis Centre. The goal of this event is to provide players with as many relevant matches (to their UTR) as possible. The event is open to juniors (U18) FROM CALGARY ONLY, with a UTR range of 2-11 as a guideline, with all draws being coed. Players will be seeded and placed into the draws based on their UTR.
We are currently planning to run a CALGARY ONLY Adult UTR event in August. A decision to proceed with this event will be made within the next 7 days. Before a final decision can be made, our staff will continue to monitor COVID-19 cases and any potential risks to our players.
· Congratulations to Goran Zovko, our Head of High Performance who recently married. On behalf of all of us at the Alberta Tennis Centre, we would like to extend congratulations to Goran and his wife Allie.
· Our Tennis Director Nick Coutts was recently was involved in a bicycle accident. He is currently sidelined with injuries to his shoulder/wrist. On behalf of all of us, we would like to extend best wishes for a speedy recovery.
· We would like to welcome back Tennis Professional Luis Reyes and Custodians Albe Hubjab and Precy Valencia.
· Ralph Dean, Tennis Professional has decided to step away from coaching activities at this time. Ralph has been a valued member of our team, and we are sad to see him go. We hope to see him back at the ATC in the future.
· Danny Da Costa along with 5 other tennis leaders in Canada, have co-founded a new organization to support the Canadian Tennis Industry. The organization is called Tennis Industry Canada, you may join this organization for free by visiting the website (www.tennisindustrycanada.com). The organization is a national communication platform for the sport of tennis and is fully supported by Tennis Canada and Tennis Professional Association of Canada.
If you have any feedback or suggestions that would benefit the tennis centre, please feel free to email me at: email@example.com.
Danny Da Costa
Chief Executive Officer, OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre
Tel: (587) 393 1604