FULL REOPENING OF INDOOR / OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES
FROM: Danny Da Costa, Chief Executive Officer
TO: OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre Members and Program Participants
DATE: June 9, 2020
Dear Member & Program Participant,
Earlier today, the Province of Alberta announced the reopening of indoor recreation as part of Alberta’s Stage 2 relaunch. Therefore, I am pleased to announce that effective Friday, June 12, 2020, we can fully resume activities.
Please refer to the documentation below and the Government of Alberta’s Return to Sport, Physical Activity and Recreation document attached here. It is imperative that all of our members and program participants strictly adhere to the protocols put in place to allow the continued resumption of tennis and athletic activities. Your cooperation is critical to our successful relaunch plan.
I want to thank our members, program participants and members of the tennis community for your continued support and words of encouragement. I also want to thank our Chair and Founder Ron Ghitter for his leadership and support in discussing the matter with the Province of Alberta’s Minister of Health Tyler Shandro and the Ministry of Health. Our guidance documentation and videos for the reopening of tennis have helped provide the Province and City with the necessary information to reopen tennis in Alberta.
With the reopening of tennis activities, you may resume doubles play, indoor and outdoor tennis and group lessons, provided public health measures are enforced. This includes but is not limited to:
- Wellness screening protocols. All of our members will be subject to screening upon entry into our facility each time (prior to play). If you experience any symptoms outlined in Appendix A, you will not be permitted to participate.
- Maintaining physical distancing (2 metres at all times).
- Hand sanitization before, during and after play (frequent sanitization will help prevent the spread of COVID-19).
- We will continue to frequently clean the facility using commercial/industrial grade disinfectants to ensure the safety of our personnel and patrons.
If you have any questions regarding our relaunch plan, please contact one of our staff members who will be happy to provide any assistance and guidance to you. The safety of our patrons is paramount to our successful relaunch plan.
Please refer to the Guidance document for Return to Sport, Physical Activity and Recreation. A summary of the key points is included below:
- We encourage our patrons to limit their time spent in the facility and to maintain physical distancing when entering and exiting the facility.
- We request that participants/patrons arrive no more than 5 – 10 minutes before their program, court reservation or lesson.
- While we strongly encourage you to bring your own hand sanitizer, we will have hand sanitizer available at entry and exit points.
- We will continue to limit physical contact with staff and members, therefore, we will be maintaining online payments and registration and hands-free check-in.
- There will be a physical barrier to separate front-desk staff and our patrons.
- We strongly recommend using a face mask when two metres of physical distancing is not possible. This includes walking to the tennis courts, in the hallways, or locker rooms.
- There will not be any spectating at this time (this will be gradually relaxed as the situation improves). Parents are asked to drop-off your children at the front entrance. Your child will be directed to the appropriate court for their lesson by a staff member. When the lesson is completed parents are requested to meet on the 2nd floor mezzanine to pick up your child. Parents are asked not to congregate outside the tennis court entrance.
- We are kindly asking you to refrain from using shower facilities at this time. We will permit the use of washrooms and changing facilities only.
- Given space considerations, we will only allow a maximum of 4 people in the fitness centre at this time.
- Our food service areas will continue to be closed at this time; we will allow vending services to resume.
- We strongly recommend all equipment handled by hand (e.g. tennis balls) during play should be frequently cleaned. Our recommendation is for our patrons to hand sanitize on each change-over or coach regrouping.
- Patrons should refrain from touching their eyes, nose, mouth and face while participating or while wearing any sporting gloves (if applicable).
- Our facility capacity at this time is 50 indoors and 100 outdoors. This is inclusive of staff and patrons.
Our recommendation for doubles play aligns with section 2.0 General considerations for sport, physical activity and recreational organizations (Mini-Leagues and “bubbles”: Cohorting Participants).
- When playing doubles please keep/maintain physical distancing protocols at all times.
- We recommend you continue to partner with players in the same household or within a small group of friends (your cohorting participants). This should be maintained during Stage 2 of the relaunch.
- While you are permitted to play indoors, we recommend that doubles be played outdoors to reduce the risk of transmission of COVID-19.
- We recommend each player take necessary precautions when it comes to “ball management” / handling tennis balls during play. We recommend you hand sanitize at the end of each change-over to mitigate any risk of contracting COVID-19