MEMO: COVID-19 UPDATE
FROM: Ron Ghitter, Chair, Board of Directors & Danny Da Costa, Chief Executive Officer
TO: OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre Members & Program Participants - Club Update
DATE: December 17, 2020
Dear Member & Program Participant,
On behalf of the Board of Directors and our entire staff at the OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre, we would like to wish you and your family a wonderful holiday season. As we approach the end of 2020, we would like to thank you for your continued patience and support. This has been a difficult year, but we remain hopeful that 2021 will be a much better year for everyone. I am writing to provide you with a facility update relating to our temporary closure due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
These are trying times for us all as we come to terms with our second facility closure of 2020. We want to reassure our members and program participants that we are taking all the necessary steps to ensure our organization is ready to resume our operations once the Government lifts the closure order of all provincial recreational facilities.
The Board of Directors and Management met on December 9th, 2020 to review our business continuance planning. The measures taken by the Board and Management will help weather our current service interruption and will allow us to quickly resume our operations. We remain hopeful that we can reopen our facility on January 11th, 2021, once the 30-day closure order is lifted by the Province of Alberta.
Some of the changes we have implemented include:
- Temporarily laying-off some of our staff members
- Salary reductions for full-time management team members
- The immediate reduction and pause of certain business expenditures
The Board of Directors have approved our facility expansion and the relevant development the permit application is complete and ready to send to the City of Calgary before the end of 2020. We remain on track to begin construction in the spring/summer of 2021 and it is our intention to have our 5-outdoor courts covered and ready for use in the fall of 2021.
Our current plan includes covering the outdoor courts with a state-of-the-art structure and, budget pending, we also hope to resurface the outdoor courts as part of our initial development. The same surface currently used in our existing indoor structure will be used in our new development. We will share with you some renderings once the final building design is complete.
If you would like to donate to the covered court project, you can do this by visiting:
NOTE: Select OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre from the drop-down menu (Project List). Donations of $50.00 or more will receive a charitable tax receipt.
PROGRAM & MEMBERSHIP UPDATE:
Like many facilities, we will continue to charge membership dues during our closure. Rest assured, we will extend membership expiry dates to reflect this service interruption, so our members are not impacted.
Our company policy is that there are no refunds for program and membership fees, and we will credit our members/program participants accordingly. This closure is out of our control and mandated by the Government of Alberta. Our staff is working very hard to ensure there is minimal impact to our members and program participants and that classes can be credited or made up once the facility closure order is lifted.
As part of our commitment to our members and program participants, we will ensure that all:
- ATC Memberships will be extended
- Programs and court time for the duration of the closure will be credited only
- Junior & Adult Programs will resume once we are able
Programs Cancelled due to Facility Closure and/or Restrictions (November – December)
· Credits for all affected adult, junior fundamental, junior high-performance, junior yoga programs for the COVID restriction periods of November 13 - 26 and November 27 - December 20 have been deposited in each participant’s club account as a club credit
· We have also credited all registered players for the cancelled assessment sessions between November 13 - January 10 with club credits
· Any special bookings that were scheduled and paid from November 27 - December 18 have been credited to the player’s club account as a club credit
Actions to be taken in the coming weeks (December 16 – January 10) for upcoming programs
· A credit will be deposited for all affected adult and junior fundamental program participants for the week of January 4 - 10, 2021
· If the payment has been collected, we will credit each individual player for any cancelled one-off private lessons from December 16 - January 10. One-off privates can be rescheduled once we can safely reopen.
· For the week of January 4 -10, 2021, a credit will be deposited for the junior high-performance players who pre-paid their annual program fees in full
· The next scheduled junior high-performance instalment will be postponed until we reopen, and the instalment amount will be adjusted accordingly
· Membership expiry dates will be extended by the number of days of our closure
NOTE: These credits will be issued until we understand the full extent of our facility closure. We will resume our programming as soon as the City/Province allows.
VIRTUAL TENNIS SERIES AND VIRTUAL CLUB SOCIALS
Our Tennis Professionals have created some wonderful free online content to engage our members during this holiday period. We have developed programs for each level of play and program that we offer in our facility. Next week we will be hosting a number of virtual tennis trivia socials with prizes.
Attached you will find the full schedule of events and links to attend our virtual tennis series. Our tennis professionals will also follow up with more details.
The Alberta Tennis Centre values your continued business and support during this difficult time. We are a very resilient Province and we will bounce back stronger than ever. Our staff members are looking forward to coming back and we hope to see our wonderful members and program participants very soon. Happy Holidays and we hope you can attend our virtual tennis series and social events over the next few weeks.
Chair of Board of Directors
OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre
DANNY DA COSTA
Chief Executive OfficerOSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre