MEMO: 2020 Fall Club Update
FROM: Danny Da Costa, CEO
TO: OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre Members and Program Participants
Dear Members & Program Participants,
We hope you have enjoyed the summer season. It has been a very busy one for us at the OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre and we could not have done it with you. We are pleased to report that our summer programming operated at near capacity and our court utilization was better than previous years. These improvements certainly help us our operation recovers from the COVID-19 pandemic.
I also want to acknowledge the excellent support we have received from our membership and program participants. The safety of our staff, members and program participants is paramount to our success as we move through Stage 2 of the Province of Alberta reopening plan. While we are very grateful to have our facility reopened and fully functional, we must not lose sight of the escalating cases of COVID-19 in the city. To date, as a result of our ongoing actions, we have been COVID-free in our facility. We will need to continue to maintain our wellness screening and safety protocols through the fall season to mitigate any risk to the virus.
Therefore, I am asking each of you to be mindful that while we are enjoying the reopening of the economy, we are still in an active pandemic and further cases could shut down businesses and the economy. We have a shared responsibility to keep our staff/members/program participants safe, therefore I am kindly asking you to do the following:
- Reinforcing physical distancing and public health measures including:
- Hand sanitization
- Maintaining 2-meters distance
- Wearing a mask in public places indoors (common areas) is a requirement now
- Frequently washing your hands, and not touching your face
- If you (or a family member) are sick or have any COVID-19 symptoms, please do not come to the tennis centre. The tennis centre will be here when you are healthy and can resume playing.
- Please consider your social choices at this time, should they include higher risk activities like:
- Attending fitness sessions / classes
- Attending parties or social gatherings
- Attending restaurants (crowded and popular downtown restaurants)
Strict adherence to our wellness protocols will ensure our collective safety. While I cannot tell you what to do on your personal time, I do want to reinforce that our personal decisions can impact our ability to remain open and help restart Alberta’s economy. We want our facility to remain COVID free, so let’s all do our part to keep it that way.
NEW CLEANING PRODUCTS:
The OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre has invested in new a new cleaning product called Ultra-lyte to help keep our patrons safe. Ultra-lyte (active ingredient is HOCL) is being used with great success in facilities such as cannabis growers, airports, airplanes, shopping malls, grocery stores, long term care facilities, schools/universities, food plants and restaurants. Health Canada has included Ultra-lyte on its marketing list of disinfectants that are likely to be effective against Covid-19. Ultralyte is being integrated into our daily cleaning routine at the Alberta Tennis Centre
The advantage of Ultra-lyte over other products:
· Kills ALL KNOWN bacteria, spores, mold, and viruses
· 100 times more effective than bleach
· 10 times more effective than Chlorine Dioxide
· 1500 times more effective than Alcohol
· It is ORGANIC / EPA / FDA / USDA / NSF / Health Canada DIN / CFIA Food Inspection Agency approved / Listed on the Health Canada Natural Products list
· All City of Calgary facilities are requiring patrons to wear face-covering in public indoor spaces. All of our members are required to wear a face-covering upon entry into the tennis centre, in common areas such as (washrooms, locker rooms, corridors, when spectating and at the entrance. You are not required to wear a face-covering when playing.
· We continue to operate as a cashless facility. We examine the re-introduction of cash payments once the government of Alberta moves us into Stage 3.
· Under orders from the Province of Alberta, The OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre can have 100 people in our facility at any given time during Stage 2 of our reopening plan.
· We are kindly asking parents to continue to drop-off/pick-up their children to ensure we can meet our 100-person limit and keep people safe. If this is not possible, we are kindly asking you to ensure you are wearing a face-covering at all times and observe social distancing practices (2 meters at all times).
· Gym use at this time is limited to 4 people only. You can reserve time to use the gym online (members only).
FACILITY EXPANSION PLANS
The Board of Directors have authorized me to restart our Facility Expansion Plan subject to raising the necessary funds to complete the project and securing approvals from the City of Calgary. The first phase of our facility expansion will include the covering of our 5-outdoor tennis courts, providing year-round access to 13 courts. This development will alleviate court pressures we experience during our busy indoor season. The second phase will involve acquiring additional land to construct 6 outdoor tennis courts, 4 pickleball courts, viewing area and public spaces. You may view our plans on our website under the heading vision for the future. I will provide a detailed update in the coming weeks.
We have immediately opened our capital campaign, if you are interested in donating to the project, please let me know via email: firstname.lastname@example.org. I will provide a detailed update in the coming months.
FALL/WINTER HOURS OF OPERATIONS:
Effective September 1st, we will return to our fall/winter hours of operation which are:
· Monday to Friday (8:00 am – 10:00 pm)
· Saturday & Sunday (8:00 am – 9:00 pm)
· Holiday Hours (9:00 am – 9:00 pm)
Effective September 1st, we will return to our normal fall/winter court rates which are:
· Non-Prime Time ($24.00 per hour/court)
· Prime Time ($30.00 per hour/court)
· Guest Fees $15.75 (GST Included)
NOTE: You will be able to begin to use your pre-paid court passes starting September 1st. You will also be able to purchase pre-paid court passes from the Front Desk or online through member account.
It is our intention to once-again resume café operations in the next few weeks. Prior to opening the café, we will be taking steps to develop a reopening plan for the café. This gradual reopening of the café will be done in stages to protect our patrons. Our priority for the time being is to restart our programming and gradually increase the number of people in our facility before we consider opening the café under regular operations.
We are offering our Fall Back to Tennis Promotion effective August 20th until September 30th.
We are pleased to extend a 15% discount for any new membership sale and/or member renewal. To purchase the Fall Back to Tennis Promotion contact Member Services Desk or Sila Huang, Member Services Manager at: email@example.com or via phone (587) 393 1600.
To can also purchase your membership online using the Jegysoft Platform using promo code: Hellofall15
As an equal opportunity employer, we are pleased to announce that four of our female staff members have been named to leadership positions in our company:
· Shannon Perras, Manager of Finance & Administration is beginning her position on August 31st. Shannon can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (587) 393 1606. Shannon will lead financial and administrative matters.
· Sila Huang, Member Services Manager. Sila will lead the day-to-day interactions with our Members. Sila can be reached at: email@example.com or by phone (587) 393 1603.
· Diana Jacobs, Head of U10 Performance and Competitive Tennis. Diana will lead the U10 High-Performance Pathway Programs and will also oversee the Competitive Teen Tennis Program. Diana can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
· Suzana Cavalcante, Head of Junior Development. We are pleased to promote Suzana Cavalcante to Head of Junior Development. Suzana has been an outstanding tennis professional since joining our team in 2016 and this promotion is well-deserving. Suzana will oversee the Development Pathway, Camps and School Tennis Programs. Suzana can be reached by email at: email@example.com
We are very proud of all of our employees and their ongoing contributions to the game of tennis and the community we live in. Our team is very dedicated to making the player experience the best in Canada.
· We are pleased to welcome back two members of our Member Services Team: Pearl & Kate, who will resume work at the OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre in September.
· We are also pleased to welcome a new member of our Member Services Team: Kristina.
· Maja Dragovic who was with us this summer, is returning to Europe for school, we wish her all the best and look forward to having her back next summer.
· We are also pleased to welcome a new tennis professional to our team beginning this fall Shane Nicholls will be joining our team on a part-time basis. Shane was the team captain for the U of C Dinos Tennis Team and will be available for private lessons.
As our summer programs had record numbers for participation in Junior camps (300+ kids) and Adult programming, these numbers have carried over into our Fall programming. There are only a few spots remaining in our Fall Junior and Adult Programs. We will be opening up Winter registration (Jan.-Mar.) in early November. To avoid being waitlisted be sure to sign-up on the first day of registration. You may register for any of our programs by visiting our Alberta Tennis Centre website. If you need any assistance registering for a program please contact the Member Services Desk for more information (587) 393 1600 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre hosted the Yonex Alberta Tennis Centre Open from (AUGUST 10 - 16). There were 89 players who participated in the event. This member-only event was the first UTR event ever hosted in Alberta. We would like to thank Yonex for sponsoring this event, especially Yonex rep Dana Pallesen for all the behind-the-scenes work to make this tournament happen and for providing great prizes for our winners and finalists.
Congratulations to the winners & finalists:
· Jacob Dubas
· Jacob Dubas /Tyler Waddock
· Terry Leighton
· Mark Hilborn
· Jocelyn Graham
· Olufola Olumekun
· Jim Ma
We will be organizing a few other UTR events this fall. These events will be open to our members and registration is through our UTR website
· ATC Junior UTR Play Through Tournament will take place September 11 – 20th, 2020. Entry Fee is $70.00 To register for this event visit: https://app.myutr.com/events/27744
· ATC is excited to host our first-ever Team Davis/Fed Cup Shootout Challenge tournament October 4th and October 11th.
o The October 4th event will be from 12pm - 4pm for 4.0+ level members
o The October 11th event will be from 12pm - 4pm for 3.0+ level members
Format for the shootout
Players will be drafted into teams of 4 players, who will then play shootout tie breaks against other teams of 4. Teams will start in round-robin boxes and play each of the teams in their respective boxes. Sign-up for this event will be available September 11, 2020, so be ready as space is limited.
We will be postponing the Calgary National Bank Challenger for 2021, due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We have made the decision to cancel this event given the uncertainty of hosting this event at this time. We will be back in 2022 with the next edition. A formal announcement will be made in September.
If you have any feedback or suggestions that would benefit the tennis centre, please feel free to email me at: email@example.com.
Danny Da Costa
Chief Executive Officer
OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre
Tel: (587) 393 1604