MEMO: OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre Club COVID-19 Update
FROM: Danny Da Costa, Chief Executive Officer
TO: OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre Members & Program Participants - Club Update
DATE: January 7, 2021
Dear Member & Program Participant,
As this is my first update for 2021, I would like to take this time to wish each of you a healthy and Happy New Year! We hope you and your family had a wonderful and safe holiday season.
We have waited patiently for the Government of Alberta to lift the current restrictions so that we can resume operations. However, earlier today, the Premier of Alberta announced that the current restrictions will remain in effect for an additional 2-week period (until January 21st, 2021). With the exception of K-12 school returning to in-person learning effective January 11, the following restrictions remain mandatory in Alberta:
- All restaurants and bars may remain open for takeout and delivery only and must stay closed to in-person dining;
- Retail, including malls, may remain open but at 15 percent of fire code capacity. Food courts may remain open for takeout only;
- Fitness centres, pools and spas must remain closed;
- All personal services including hair and nail salons must remain closed;
- Attractions, museums, libraries, amusement parks, camps and galleries must remain closed;
- Hotels and accommodations will remain open to customers with reservations;
- Casinos must remain closed;
- Working from home continues to be required for all non-essential businesses;
- Indoor and outdoor gatherings are limited to those in the same household;
- Faith services remain limited to 15 percent of capacity;
- Banquet halls, conference centres, concert venues and sport venues must remain closed; and
- Funeral and wedding services remain capped at a maximum 10 people with no receptions.
The Premier has indicated that businesses, organizations and service providers will be given at least one week’s notice prior to changes to the current public health measures. Details from the Government of Alberta can be found here: https://www.alberta.ca/enhanced-public-health-measures.aspx.
Given today’s announcement we will continue to credit all programs. Memberships will continue to be charged. However, our membership will have their memberships extended to reflect the service interruption. Unfortunately, this closure is out of our control and mandated by the Government of Alberta.
We have written communication to Minister Shandro (MLA-Acadia) and the Provincial Government to advocate for the safe reopening of tennis. To date, we have not heard back. However, we will continue to champion the reopening of tennis facilities in the Province.
In the meantime, we hope you have enjoyed participating in our virtual tennis series and virtual club socials. Our tennis professionals are all eagerly awaiting the resumption of tennis in our facility and, in the interim, have enjoyed engaging with you virtually. I am pleased to confirm that Former World #1 Doubles Player and Canadian Tennis Star Daniel Nestor, will join our members for a “MEET THE PRO” Q&A on January 14, 2021 at 7:00 pm MT. Daniel was the winner of 91 career titles including 12x Grand Slam Champion and Olympic Gold Medalist. Please do not miss the opportunity to hear from Daniel about his career, life on the tour, and much more. Daniel will also take your questions as well. The session will be moderated by our Tennis Director, Nick Coutts. Details:
MEET THE PRO: Q&A with Daniel Nestor (via ZOOM)
Date: January 14, 2021
Time: 7:00 pm (MT)
The Alberta Tennis Centre values your continued business and support during this challenging time. We have all been affected by the COVID pandemic but, in spite of everything, we must remain positive and resilient. Better days are ahead, and we look forward to having our wonderful members, program participants, and staff back very soon.
DANNY DA COSTA
Chief Executive Officer
OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre